Thursday, July 5, 2012

Grilled Cuban Sandwiches


Grilled Cuban Sandwiches

It’s been quite a while, but Fellsway Food Treats is back online, and I’m sorry to have kept Chris Kennedy waiting.

I really love Cuban sandwiches. Nothing beats slightly sweet roast pork mixed with a sour pickle, melted cheese and a warm crunchy and soft pressed roll.



I don’t have an exact recipe for this one, but it’s not too complicated.
The basic ingredients are as follows
Pork Tenderloin
Sliced Deli Ham
Provolone Cheese
French Bread
Sandwich Sliced Pickles
Mustard (I almost puked when I wrote that. I hate mustard and prefer mayo on my Cubans, but out of respect for my tropical Comrads, I’ll stick to the traditional ingredients.


I prepared the Pork Tenderloin by rubbing it with a mixture of chopped garlic, pretty much every condiment we had in our cabinet and a small amount of olive oil.

I preheated the grill to about 500 degrees and grilled the tenderloin for about 5 minutes on each side until the internal temp reached about 155. Then I wrapped it in foil and let it set for 10 minutes.


Grill marks like you read about…. 


Here you can see my workstation I’ve got condiments and various accoutrements on every flat surface on the porch.



After giving the tenderloin some time to rest, I sliced it up with my electric knife and put it in the cast iron pan to keep it warm and crisp it up a bit more.


After grilling each piece of bread, I assemble the sandwiches butter the outsides of the bread and put the sandwiches on the grill and use a foil-covered brick to provide some weight and press down each sandwich.



Here is the delicious final product!

No comments:

Post a Comment